Thursday, July 9, 2009

My week back in Kathmandu!





Hey yall! So, my first week back in Kathmandu is almost up...and yes, I have pictures like I promised. The sunset picture is one I took on our trek with Saran to Nagarkot. The Next picture is of me and Manesh's two children, Mahita and Manoj, at the parsonage (before we got kicked out).
So, As I told you, when I arrived in Kathmandu, Pastor Nagendra's brother and his family, Shanti, Vani, and Nahum, were there. Well, they're house is now ready for them to live in and I helped them move a few things into their new home. They are really wonderful people, and I enjoy spending time with all of them.
Wednesday morning, Laura, Shanti, and I woke up early, to leave the house at 6:15(!) for an early morning crash course in music conducting that Laura taught to students at the music school. I learned a lot from it, but the thing I think I learned the most was that I am not coordinated enough to be a conductor!
Later that morning, Shanti and I left the school to meet a pastor friend of his, Pastor Nanda, to set up English conversation lessons at his church. However, on the way home, we had to take a different route than normal thanks to a bandh, a big protest where they close down streets. Well, it turned out that we got to walk right through Patan Darbar square, where we took some pictures. It's and older section of the city, where there are a lot of temples and idols. Even though the bandh was a little frustrating, it was a lucky turn of events since we got to see that part of the city.
As I said, I'm now teaching English conversation lessons. I had my first two lessons this morning. It was a lot of fun and quite a learning experience for me. My first group could read, but had limited English knowledge. And as I don't speak Nepali, it proved to be a little difficult, but I think we all had a very good time, and I hope that I taught them a lot. My next group was a married couple here in the church. Luckily for me, they understand English very well, and want to know more advanced conversational skills.
Well, gotta go for now, but I'll be writing soon!
matthew ;^)

1 comment:

  1. Matthew,
    I am real proud of you. I think it is just wonderful that you have been able to have the experiences you have had for the past several summers.. Oh yeah, this past Christmas too. Enjoy life, you have a gift and you are very special.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete