Thursday, July 2, 2009

Dog days of summer in Kalaturu...

Hey yall! Just wanted to to give a quick update! I'm still in Andhra Pradesh, in the village of Kalaturu. Man, is it hot! It's usually between 100 and 110 degrees during the day, but it can be pretty nice outside at night. I mean, it can get that hot at home, but we don't really feel it because we can just go inside, into the air conditioning. Here, we have fans and shade. You get pretty used to it though...it's not so bad sleeping at night, and you try to stay in the shade during the day. However, the power goes out here sporadically...you never nowwhen it's gonna go off, and you never know when it's gonna come back on. I have had a great epiphany here...I have discovered the world's worst and most beautiful sounds: the worst being the sound of a dying fan as the power shuts off, choking off the only bit of relief from the heat; the most beautiful sound being the sound of the power returing, starting the blades of the fan turning again, if not giving you actual relief, at least you can convince yourself that at that moment a working fan is the best thing in the world.
Anyways, I haven't been up to much here. We have pretty slow days. We usually spend the day in the shade of the front porch of the house. I read a lot (I've finished Mere Christianity, The Grapes of Wrath, and Hamlet, and have just started the 6th Harry Potter book...I'm such a nerd). Then at night we have prayer meetings. We have to wait until night because most people are day laborers, in the fields and in their shops and such, so they come to the meetings at night. It's gone pretty well so far. I'm certainly no preacher, by any means, but Manesh always asks me to speak to the people in the villages. So, I say what I can, doing my best, and hope that I can say something to them that lets them know I'm just as human as they are and that God loves us all.
I'll be leaving India on the 6th, monday. I have a train to Delhi that leaves at 4am on the 4th of July (Happy Independence day!). We'll reach Delhi around 7am on the 5th, and we'll stay in a hotel until my flight back to Kathmandu.
Well, I still don't have pictures, but I hope to post some as soon as I can get a faster connection. bye for now!
matthew ;^)

No comments:

Post a Comment