Sunday, July 12, 2009

Monsoon!

Hello everybody!
So, as the title of this post says, the monsoon season has finally come to Kathmandu. Everyone here says that it was late this year. A lot of villages around Kathmandu, such as Khokana, have not received much rain yet, which means that a lot of rice farmers have not began planted their crops. But the rain has come to Kathmandu. It has rained almost everyday since I returned to India. But I think yesterday, Sunday, saw the most rain since I've been back. I love the rain, and the temperature cools down during the rain (I actually slept under a blanket last night!), so I don't mind it so much.
Well, my English classes are going pretty well. I had my first class in Khokana yesterday, which means I'm now teaching 3 English classes. As luck would have it, each class is at a different level of proficiency in English. That means I have to prepare three different lessons each day. But I don't mind, considering that my own native language is probably one of the easiest things I could teach! When I teach in Khokana, I have to travel to and from there by myself. So, yesterday was the first time that I left the church and travelled about an hour or so to the village. I have to walk about a mile to a large intersection called "New Baneshor Chowk", take the number 14 "tuk tuk" (a three wheeled vehicle that carries about 10 people) to "Jawalakhel", and then hop on the number 14 bus all the way to Khokana! It's not so bad, and I'm getting the hang of it.
Well, I think that's all for now. This video was shot while Laura, Saran, and I were riding on top of a bus from Nagarkot, in the foothills of the Himalayas.
matthew ;^)

1 comment: